It’s that time of year again! The holidays are just around the corner, so it’s time to start thinking about protecting your roof from all the extra decorations.
As always, safety comes first.
- Inspect your roof or contact Dick’s Roof Repair to ensure it is safe to walk on or attach lights and decorations.
- Verify that you have the appropriate tools. Are your ladders tall enough, or do you need safety equipment to guard against possible falls?
- Solicit assistance from friends, family, and neighbors. Sometimes, putting up holiday decor can be challenging, and a helping hand can go a long way.
- Check that any items that require power are rated for outdoor use and that their power plugs are weatherproof.
Once you’ve decided on your decoration layout, lights, and blowups, it’s time to consider how you’ll attach them to your home.
Reduce any potential damage.
- Keep nails away from your roof. Each time you do so, you increase the likelihood of minor leaks. Wisconsin winters can be severe, and nails can degrade the quality of shingles. Additionally, damaging factors include the weight of the ornaments nailed into the shingles.
- You should also take care to avoid putting any extra weight on your roof. This means being careful with things like holiday trees and large inflatables. Try to put these items on stands or in other locations.
- It is also essential to keep inflatables away from chimneys, vents, power lines, and tree branches. If you put an inflatable on your roof, make sure it only touches the roof to prevent further harm or any potential fire hazards.
- If you are hanging lights, ensure they are straight and functional before hanging them and confirm they are outdoor rated. Make sure to secure them while using a ladder that is the right size for safety. Have a friend or family member along to assist.
Safety inspections throughout the holidays.
Inspecting your roof regularly during the holiday season is essential to help you spot any issues early on.
One of the first things you’ll want to do is inspect your shingles. Look for any that are cracked, missing, or otherwise damaged. If you find any, you’ll need to replace them as soon as possible, hopefully before you put any decorations up or further damage occurs.
You should also check for leaks around your chimney or other roof openings. These can be especially dangerous because they allow water to enter your home, causing serious damage.
Finally, take a look at your gutters and downspouts. Make sure they are clear of any debris so they can continue draining water properly.
By taking these simple steps, you can help ensure that your roof stays in good condition for holiday decorating for years to come.
Dick’s Roof Repair
Dick’s Roof Repair Service wants you to enjoy the holidays and show off your decorations, secure in the knowledge that you have taken steps to protect your home.
Now is the time to start thinking about your home’s roofing or siding before 2023. Now is a perfect time to contact Dick’s Roofing team for your FREE estimate and to get your home scheduled today.
In today’s modern era, our team is ready to communicate with you in so many ways:
- Call us! We would love to hear from you and schedule your home for an appraisal.
- Online quotes! Our online quote system is easy to use and available 24/7 on our website for your convenience.
- Discovery calls! Do you have questions and need answers? We can set up a call with you to discuss your options.
- Video chats! Sometimes putting a face to a name is important, or perhaps you want to give us a virtual tour of your home and the issue you want to discuss.
- Face-to-face conversations. If you prefer to talk to a Dick’s Roof Repair employee in person, contact us to schedule a visit.