When it comes to an apartment complex or condo association, one of your primary focuses is the satisfaction of your residents or owners. You want to make sure that their living space is well-maintained and the roof over their head is keeping them safe, warm and dry.
Whether you are a property manager or part of an association board, you know that, at some point, the roof requires repairs and eventually replacement. Just like a single-family-home, there are signs to watch for and simple steps to take, to help keep your apartment complex or condo association in tip-top shape.
Signs of wear and tear or damage to watch for:
- Deterioration of granules. Besides the aesthetic value of the granules on the roof, the loss of granular texture is a key indicator of the age of aparment’s roof. Less granules = older roof.
- Tar streaking. Those black streaks on a roof are actually algae. That algae can eventually cause damage to the roofing shingles.
- Missing shingles. Missing shingles can lead to leaks and additional damage to the rest of the roof.
- Curled or Buckled Shingles. Shingles begin to buckle or curl as they get older, due to the stress from mother nature. They will eventually become brittle and will break.
- Moisture and/or mold. Green vegetation on the roof can indicate trapped moisture, which spells possible future damage.
- Ice dams or icicles on the building’s gutters. Icicles and ice dams impede drainage off the roof and can lead to significant water damage.
- A leaky chimney or roof. Consistent or intermittent roof leaks could mean water is seeping through the building roof.
- Overly high energy bills. If your residents are complaining about unusually high energy bills, this could be an indication of a poorly insulated roof or other issues.
If these signs are present on the apartments building or condo association’s roof, it might be time to research and consider your next steps. It’s also important to note that sometimes the signs are not always 100% clear. A good rule of thumb is that if you suspect there may be some damage, have it checked out by a professional, such as Dick’s Roof Repair. Catching an issue early can save you a world of stress AND money.
Proper maintenance of your apartment complex’s roof or condo association’s roof is important. A few simple steps can help you watch for the above listed signs of damage. Proper maintenance can also help extend the life of your building’s roof.
- Have the roof surfaces cleaned annually. This is visually appealing for residents and helps to wash off potential mold/plant life and it also helps to make sure the drainage system is up-to-snuff.
- Be sure to repair damaged roof flashing. Damage to the roof’s flashing often leads to leakage. Those metal strips that seal around chimneys and roof edges are vital in maintaining a strong and functioning roof.
- Watch for wear and tear. Repair the minor damage (such as items listed above) as soon as possible. A small leak, if not fixed, can easily turn into a potential nightmare.
- Have a roof inspection after storms. Minor storm damage, difficult to see from the ground, could quickly lead to extensive damage. Have the apartment complex’s or condo association’s roof inspected as soon as possible after a storm, to confirm there’s no damage.
Hiring a licensed roofing contractor for your apartment complex or condo association’s roof repair or replacement is also important to guarantee the work or repair. It is important to consider the size and extent of a building’s roof when hiring your roofing company – a small roofer will lack the proper knowledge and experience when it comes to commercial roof repair and replacement.
Dick’s Roof Repair has been helping Kenosha, Racine and Walworth county associations and property managers with their roofing issues and replacements for over 60 years. Dick’s Roof Repair Service has the knowledge and experience to navigate the intricacies of different roofing systems – for new installations and repairs. Our team works with management, each step of the way, to help you see the return on your capital investment and to maximize the benefits of your roofing system, windows and/or siding. We evaluate your building requirements and recommend the best possible solution to fit your budget.
In addition to our repair and replacement services, our team can provide a comprehensive list of condo exterior services. We can:
- Inspect roofing and assess needs
- Detect and repair leaks
- Remove ice dams and increase attic insulation
- Install gutters and downspouts
- Fix or install flashing
- Replace entire roof
- Repair underlayment
Contact us today for a quote on your apartment complex or condo associations’s roof installation or repair.